Rosyth was selected as a major naval base as the area faced the North Sea and had the potential for setting up artillery batteries on Inchkeith, Kinghorn Ness and at suitable sites along the Firth of Forth.
The Admiralty purchased 285 acres of foreshore and 1,184 acres of hinterland from the Marquis of Linlithgow in 1903. The building contract was given to Messrs. Easton Gibb and Son Ltd, Westminster, who began construction work in March 1909.
The naval base did not become fully operational until March 1916, mainly due to the problems encountered in excavating the heavy clay.
The naval base was run down after the First World War although one of the dry docks was used for breaking-up ships belonging to the German High Seas Fleet which had been salvaged after being scuttled in Scapa Flow.
Second World War
Preparations for the outbreak of the Second World War led to the reactivation of the naval base and the construction of several new facilities including HMS Caledonia.